Jim wrote and has been teaching a 3-credit graduate course called “iPads in Education I” for Wilson College through Eduspire both online and at various locations throughout PA. He has also written an “iPads in Education II″ course first offered in the summer of 2015. Jim also works with schools that are in a 1:1 environment.
Jim finished his work as coach and mentor with the PA Department of Education (PDE) “Classrooms for the Future” program in 2011. This successful program was funded for 5 years (2006-2011) and focused on providing assistance to teachers to develop 21st Century digital skills and integrate technology throughout their curriculum in meaningful ways.
Jim held the position of Instructional Technology Trainer for eight years with the Capital Area Intermediate Unit. In November 2008, Jim started his own consulting company called “Gates Ideas” where his goals and objectives are to promote best practices and meaningful use of technology integration in the classroom.
Jim began teaching computers in 1983 at the high school level after having taught music for nearly eight years. He has taught many different programming languages throughout his teaching career, his favorite being C++. He has also taught courses in Personal Computing and Hypermedia using Hypercard. In the early ‘90’s Jim began teaching a course about the Internet. At that time he founded a Macintosh User group for teachers called CAMELOT and served as its President for six years.
In 1999 Jim moved to the middle school environment where he worked with the Social Studies and Science teachers to integrate computers into their curriculum. Jim started his “Computer Tips” in 1993 and they were shared daily with teachers and administrators in several school districts. When Jim moved to the Intermediate Unit as their Instructional Technology Trainer, he created his blog called, “Tipline – Gates Computer Tips” and was able to share ideas and new technologies with a much larger audience.
Jim’s accomplishments are:
- Has written and will teach the “iPads in Education 2” course 1st offered in the Summer of 2015.
- Developed and is currently teaching a 3-credit graduate course called “iPads in Education” for Wilson College through Eduspire both online and at various locations throughout PA.
- Jim served as a mentor for Pennsylvania Association for Educational Communications & Technology (PAECT) to help them increase connections and engagement of their membership.
- He presented a TEDx talk called “Why School is More Important than Ever”.
- He has won both a National Gold and National Bronze Award for a column he wrote for Child Guide Magazine.
- His blog won the 2007 Edublogs Award for the Best Resources Sharing Blog.
- He served as President of the Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo & Conference (PETE&C) Committee.
- Jim was presented with the 2009 Pioneer Award from the PA Association for Educational Communications and Technology (PAECT) in recognition of his lifetime leadership role in instructional technology.
- Jim’s blog has been listed on the Top Online University Review web site as one of the Top 50 blogs for e-learning tools and tips.
Jim supports the following organizations: ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education), PAECT (PA Association for Educational Communications and Technology), and PETE & C (PA Educational Technology Expo and Conference). He supports the PA State Computer Fair for both Middle Schools and High Schools.
Jim recently provided iPad training to the Health Occupation Teachers at Indiana University. He has participated on a panel discussion for the Pennsylvania Education Policy Fellowship Program (EPFP). Jim has presented keynote addresses to the FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), participated in the Techitu (Graduate course offered by PSU), and participated at Edcamp (an “unconference” successfully offered by Harrisburg University).
Jim was pleased to be a sponsor of the TedX Youth Camp Hill in November 2012. He also presented at TedX Williamport. See his TEDX Talk presentation entitled “Why School is More Important than Ever” which is also on YouTube.
He lives in Lemoyne, PA with his wife, Kathy.
Follow Jim on Twitter @jgates513
email: jgates at gatesideas.com